St. David’s Surgery

01437 720303


This practice is committed to providing appropriate support for Carers. We hold a Bronze Carers Award and we are currently working towards Silver level. Our Carers Lead is Kim Phillips (Phlebotomist and Receptionist). We recognise that Carers contribute significantly by looking after relatives, neighbours or friends. Young Carers may be particularly vulnerable due to their inexperience.

Who is a Carer?

Carers provide unpaid care by looking after someone with an illness, frailty, disability, mental ill health or substance misuse problem, who couldn’t manage without.  A Young Carer is under 18.

What we can do to help

If you are a Carer, tell us.  The Practice invites patients with a caring role to be registered as a Carer. This enables the GPs, nurses and other staff to provide you with help and support that you may need either now or in the future.

We can also arrange a referral to the Carers information service who will send you the Carers Information Pack, the quarterly newsletter ‘Carers Gazette’, invitations to carers’ events and can provide you with updated, regular information.  You can also request a referral to Social Services at Pembrokeshire County Council for a Carers Needs Assessment if you choose.

The Carers register is confidential and run by the Carers service currently based in Pembrokeshire County Council.  The Carers database is kept separately from the main social services records. This ensures that Carers who only want to register on the information database are able to do so.  Joining is free and you will receive a copy of the Carers’ Gazette three times a year with news and information for Carers across Pembrokeshire. If you wish to join the Pembrokeshire carers register, your details will be passed on to the Carers service.  For further information please contact the Carers information service on 01437 764551 ext 6222 or email

We aim to raise the awareness of the needs of Carers and to support them with practical help and information.  We know that Carers often have limited time to look after their own health needs and therefore we encourage them to make an appointment with the Practice Nurse for a health check if appropriate.

If we are able to recognise you as a Carer we can ensure that you receive the appropriate consideration and support.  We will aim to offer a flexible approach to appointments and to obtaining prescriptions if leaving the dependent person is difficult.

How can you register as a Carer?

Registration forms are available in the Surgery or speak to any staff member.

For more advice on services and support for Carers locally please phone our usual Surgery number and ask to speak to our Carer’s Lead, Kim Phillips.

What is a Carer’s Needs Assessment?

A Carer’s Needs Assessment is your opportunity to tell Social Services about the things that could make caring easier for you.  It is an assessment of your needs, not those of the person you are caring for.  Every carer is entitled to an assessment, where your need to go to work, for leisure or training are to be taken into account.  When you register with us as a Carer, the practice will offer you the chance of a referral for an assessment.

How to find out more information

The practice has a dedicated Carers notice board by the Reception desk with information of support and services locally and news of local events.

PAVS (Pembrokeshire Association of Voluntary Services)

The Carers Development Worker at PAVS provides information about Carers Support Groups, Services available to Carers, Organisations for Benefits and Young Carers Support in Pembrokeshire.  They can put you in touch with voluntary organisations as well as referring you to Social Services for a Carers Assessment.

Information for carers on the website:

PAVS, telephone 01437 771196

Crossroads Care Haverfordwest office provides short breaks (replacement care) for Carers throughout Pembrokeshire and can point you in the right direction to get other help that you may need. 01437 764639.

The Carers Emergency Card scheme is another way to plan for emergencies. This is run by Crossroads Care Haverfordwest and the British Red Cross in Swansea, call 01792 772146 for details.

The Alzheimer’s Society helps carers of people with dementia by giving out information, holding training for carers, facilitating carers support groups throughout Pembrokeshire and giving carers a break. 01646 692329.

Some useful websites is an organisation working for a better deal for Carers in Wales. They have a web site with useful details of financial and practical help and events. is a voluntary organisation that can provide replacement care when you need a break. Local contact details are available on their web site. is a care and research charity for people with the Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, their families and carers. It provides a network of support, guidance and information. is a helpful website for advice about funding care for an older person.

The Princess Royal trust for Carers ( the largest provider of comprehensive carers support in the UK. The interactive website has very useful information and a discussion board for carers.

Carers Forum ( a place where carers can talk to each other, discuss issues and gain support.

Translate »